Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Neapolitan Reinforcements



The next battalion off the workbench is the 1st battalion of the 7th Line Regiment of the Neapolitan Army. This was the famous black regiment recruited from Caribbean exiles from Saint-Domingue which was foisted onto Napoleon's brother Joseph when he was King of Naples. An anecdote I read somewhere claimed that this regiment went from being the worst in the French army to the best in the Neapolitan without any change in their abilities! I'm not sure how many, if any, of the black troops were left by the Battle of Tolentino in 1815, but I decided to paint them up that way to lend a little exoticness to the brigade. More info on the history of this regiment can be found here

Speaking of Tolentino, I realise now I've completely cocked up the OB; So far I've painted the 1st and 10th Line regiments and the 1st Light. Only the 7th and the 1st Light are from the same brigade! I should have painted the first two as the 4th and 8th Line, which have amaranth and pink facings, respectively. It looks like I'll either have to repaint the facings (groan!) or just keep adding to my Neapolitan collection!





I've also added some command stands to the collection using Franznap's brilliantly characterful figures. First off is a dismounted stand featuring a general and his AdC viewing the battlefield before them with an Italeri horse contentedly munching the grass in the background.



Second is the mounted general receiving some news from his AdC, who rides up, touching his hat in greeting.




I'm shortly going to paint up an army command stand featuring the Dandy King, Joachim Murat himself! Stay tuned!



3 comments:

  1. Another splendid unit Sir, lovely job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your pain, M. Rosbif! Just painted a regiment of Westphalians for Tudela and then read in Oman that they were left behind as garrison in some northern Spanish town.
    These are looking soooo good. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful command stand, and I love your work on the white shades on this superb units...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Shelfari Bookshelf